The revised Toyota Corolla is in showrooms this month, packing updated tech, a more powerful hybrid, and some cosmetic tweaks.
UPDATE, 06/02/2023 – Toyota Australia has increased the asking price of the Corolla range by $500 amid a wider range price rise.
All models get Toyota’s latest-generation infotainment system, though they retain an 8.0-inch touch display. No mention has been made of the new 10.5-inch display revealed in Japan and Europe.
DAB+ digital radio is standard across the range, and there’s now a USB-C port below the screen.
The Ascent Sport gains a 7.0-inch instrument cluster screen, replacing the old 4.2-inch information display, while the flagship ZR debuts a new 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster.
Hybrid models get Toyota’s new fifth-generation hybrid powertrain with an extra 13kW of power, for a total output of 103kW.
There’s a new front drive motor and power control unit, while a newly developed lithium-ion battery is said to reduce weight by 14 per cent.
You can now also get a ZR sedan with the hybrid powertrain. Previously, the ZR hybrid was hatch-only.
All Corollas get one year’s complimentary access to Toyota Connected Services.
By downloading the myToyota Connect app on your smartphone, you can remotely lock or unlock your car, start the engine, turn on the hazard lights and sound the horn.
You can also remotely monitor your remaining fuel level and check whether you have left the windows down or the car unlocked. Usefully, the app can also help you locate your car in a busy car park.
There’s also automatic collision notification, which can connect you to an emergency call centre in the event of an accident, and a roof-mounted SOS button that can also get you in contact with emergency services.
The Toyota Safety Sense suite of active safety features has been expanded, with the Corolla’s autonomous emergency braking system now featuring motorcycle detection and junction assist.
Emergency steering assist is standard across the range while blind-spot monitoring, previously available only on the SX and ZR, is now standard on Ascent Sport hatchbacks.
A new acceleration suppression feature reacts to sudden use of the accelerator when travelling at low speeds.
Toyota’s Lane Trace Assist lane centring system also features an emergency stop feature, bringing the vehicle to a gradual stop if it detects the driver is no longer providing inputs.
The company has also tweaked its adaptive cruise control system. It now features four distance settings and deceleration assist when changing lanes, and can now also detect vehicles earlier.
Likewise, Toyota says it has improved the performance of its cameras and radar sensors.
Cosmetic tweaks are minor. There’s a new grille, as well as new 16-inch wheels for Ascent Sport and SX models, and new Sunstone Orange and Lunar Blue exterior finishes.
There continue to be some unusual differences between hatch and sedan models. In addition to a slightly different colour palette, there’s a slightly different equipment list between the two body styles. You can view a full breakdown of specifications further down.
While previously Ascent Sport models cost the same regardless of body style, Toyota has now made the Ascent Sport hybrid sedan pricier than its hatchback sibling as it comes with standard satellite navigation.
The Ascent Sport’s $1000 Convenience Pack also brings different equipment depending on the body style. While both hatch and sedan gain rear cross-traffic alert when this option box is ticked, only the hatch gets front and rear parking sensors.
Ascent Sport sedan models miss out on standard blind-spot monitoring.
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport hatch: $28,630 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport sedan: $28,630 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport Hybrid hatch: $31,130 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport Hybrid sedan: $31,680 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla SX hatch: $31,780 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla SX sedan: $31,780 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla SX Hybrid hatch: $34,280 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla SX Hybrid sedan: $34,280 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla ZR hatch: $35,620 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla ZR sedan: $37,120 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla ZR Hybrid hatch: $38,120 (+$500)
- 2023 Toyota Corolla ZR Hybrid sedan: $39,620 (+$500)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2023 Toyota Corolla range has two engine choices, starting with a naturally aspirated 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 126kW of power and 202Nm of torque (203Nm in the sedan).
The hybrid pairs a 1.8-litre naturally aspirated petrol four-cylinder engine with an electric motor, for a combined power output of 103kW.
The 2.0-litre engine comes with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with 10 virtual gears. The hybrid is only available with an e-CVT.
All Corollas are front-wheel drive.
The petrol 2023 Toyota Corolla uses 6.0L/100km on the combined cycle.
The hybrid sedan uses 3.9L/100km.
The 2023 Toyota Corolla hatch measures 4375mm long, 1435mm tall and 1790mm wide, with a 2640mm wheelbase.
The Corolla sedan measures 4630mm long, 1435mm tall and 1780mm wide, with a 2700mm wheelbase.
The sedan has 470L of luggage space, while the hatchback has between 217L and 333L. The larger of the two volumes is for models without a spare wheel.
The 2023 Toyota Corolla is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
It requires servicing every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first, with the first five services capped at $205 each.
The 2023 Toyota Corolla has an ANCAP rating of five stars based on testing conducted in 2018.
It received scores of 96 per cent in adult occupant protection, 83 per cent in child occupant protection, 86 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 76 per cent in safety assist.
The entire range comes standard with the following safety features:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Motorcycle detection (NEW)
- Junction assist (NEW)
- Emergency steering assist (NEW)
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane-departure warning
- Lane-tracing assist (excludes manual models)
- Adaptive cruise control (high speed-only in manual models)
- Traffic sign recognition
- Reversing camera
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
The SX and ZR add blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert. The former is also standard on all hatchback models.
Toyota has yet to release a full specification sheet, however we’ve detailed what was standard on 2022 models and added any newly announced features.
The base Ascent Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (NEW)
- DAB+ digital radio (NEW)
- USB-C port (NEW)
- 7.0-inch instrument cluster screen (NEW)
- Satellite navigation (NEW, hybrid sedan only)
- Front sun visors with vanity mirrors and lighting (NEW, sedan only)
- Rear seat reminder (NEW, hatch)
- Six-speaker sound system
- Automatic bi-LED headlights
- Automatic high-beam
- LED daytime running lights and tail lights
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- 60/40 split-fold rear seats with centre armrest
- Heated, power-folding mirrors
An optional $1000 Convenience Pack adds:
- Blind-spot monitoring (sedan)
- Rear-cross traffic alert
- Front and rear parking sensors (hatchback)
Moving up to the SX brings:
- Rain-sensing wipers (NEW)
- Electrochromatic rear-view mirror (NEW)
- Remote climate control pre-conditioning (NEW, hatch only)
- Front and rear parking sensors (NEW, hatch only)
- Satellite navigation
- DAB+ digital radio
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Leatherette-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- LED fog lights
- Auto-folding wing mirrors
- Keyless entry and start
- Privacy glass
- Dual-zone climate control (hatchback)
- Wireless phone charging
- Paddle shifters (excludes hybrid)
The top-spec ZR also features:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- JBL sound system (nine speakers in the sedan, eight speakers in the hatch)
- Front sports seats
- Eight-way power driver’s seat
- Leatherette (sedan) or leather and faux suede upholstery (hatchback)
- Heated front seats
- Head-up display
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster (NEW)
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Ambient lighting
Hatchback models are available in the following finishes:
- Sunstone Orange
- Lunar Blue
- Glacier White
- Frosted White
- Silver Pearl
- Eclipse Black
- Jasper Red
Of these, only Sunstone Orange and Glacier White can’t be had with a black roof in ZR guise.
Sedan models are available in the following colours:
- Dark Grey
- Eclipse Black
- Glacier White
- Frosted White
- Silver Pearl
- Celestite Grey
- Atomic Rush
- Saturn Blue