The Mazda CX-8 has followed its CX-5 sibling in receiving a mid-life update, bringing a revised line-up, more technology and higher prices.
The range opens at $42,060 before on-road costs for the front-wheel drive Sport, topping out with the flagship Asaki LE all-wheel drive priced from $71,410 before on-road costs.
Pricing has been increased by between $1400 and $1870, depending on the variant.
Gone are last year’s petrol and diesel Touring SP and GT variants, replaced by a new GT SP trim. Also joining the line is a Touring Active trim, available only as a diesel.
Mazda Australia says stock is flowing for the CX-8 and available with a fairly short turnaround.
Visual changes for 2023 include a revised front grille, front and rear bumpers and tailgate, as well as a new Rhodium White exterior finish and new alloy wheel designs.
All models now have the 10.25-inch Mazda Connect infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, as well as revised front seats.
Also new for 2023 is a 7.0-inch digital instrument display across the range, USB-C ports for first-row occupants and a remote window control system activated via the key fob.
The Mi Drive selectable drive mode system is standard on AWD versions of the CX-8, offering Normal, Sport and Off-Road modes, while all models have received updated spring and damper settings.
Mazda’s Cruising and Traffic Support driver assist technology is also newly available on GT SP, Asaki and Asaki LE trims.
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 G25 Sport FWD: $42,060 (+$1870)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 G25 Touring FWD: $48,960 (+$1870)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 D35 Sport AWD: $49,060 (+$1870)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 D35 Touring Active AWD: $56,910 (NEW)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 G25 GT SP FWD: $58,910 (NEW)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 G25 Asaki FWD: $61,810 (+$1400)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 D35 GT SP AWD: $65,560 (NEW)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 D35 Asaki AWD: $68,810 (+$1400)
- 2023 Mazda CX-8 D35 Asaki LE AWD: $71,410 (+$1400)
All prices exclude on-road costs
The 2023 Mazda CX-8 range offers two powertrain options.
A 2.5-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine petrol engine produces 140kW of power and 252Nm of torque.
Alternatively, Mazda offers a 2.2-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel engine that produces 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque.
Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and the CX-8 is available with a choice of front- or all-wheel drive.
The front-wheel drive 2023 Mazda CX-8 G25 uses 8.1L/100km on the ADR combined cycle, while all-wheel drive models are rated at 6.0L/100km.
Front-wheel drive models have a 72L fuel tank and all-wheel drive models have a 74L fuel tank. All models have an engine idle stop/start system.
Petrol CX-8 models require 91 RON regular unleaded fuel.
The 2023 Mazda CX-8 measures 4925mm long, 1845mm wide and 1720 to 1725mm tall, and rides a 2930mm wheelbase.
Kerb weight ranges from 1799kg in the petrol Sport and Touring to 1978kg in the GT SP diesel.
The Mazda CX-8’s boot has a luggage capacity of 209L with all three rows up, measured to the roof, 775L when the third row is folded down and 1727L with the second and third rows folded.
Braked towing capacity is 1800kg in petrol models and 2000kg in diesel models. All models have a 750kg unbraked towing capacity and 150kg maximum towball download.
The Mazda CX-8 is backed by Mazda’s five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Front-wheel drive petrol CX-8 models require servicing every 12 months or 15,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
The first five services are capped at the following prices:
- 12 months or 15,000km: $341
- 24 months or 30,000km: $542
- 36 months or 45,000km: $402
- 48 months or 60,000km: $542
- 60 months or 75,000km: $341
All-wheel drive diesel CX-8 models require servicing every 12 months or 10,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
The first five services are capped at the following prices:
- 12 months or 10,000km: $368
- 24 months or 20,000km: $569
- 36 months or 30,000km: $566
- 48 months or 40,000km: $569
- 60 months or 50,000km: $368
The Mazda CX-8 has a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing conducted in 2018.
It received an adult occupant protection rating of 96 per cent, a child occupant protection rating of 87 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection rating of 72 per cent, and a safety assist rating of 73 per cent.
All 2023 Mazda CX-8 models receive the following safety equipment:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Driver attention warning
- Intelligent speed limit assist
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane departure warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Traffic sign recognition
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
Touring and up get front parking sensors, while GT SP and up get Cruising and Traffic Support and the Asaki and Asaki LE also receive a surround-view camera.
The Sport comes standard with the following equipment:
- Automatic LED headlights
- Automatic high-beam
- Heated, power-folding exterior mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 60:40 split/fold second row and 50:50 split/fold third row
- Black cloth upholstery
- Tri-zone climate control
- 7.0-inch instrument cluster screen
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- 2 x front USB-C charging ports
- 10.25-inch infotainment system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wired Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- Six-speaker stereo system
- Keyless start
- Two ISOFIX ports and five top tether points
- Cargo area 12V outlet
The Touring adds:
- Eight-way power driver’s seat
- Six-way power passenger seat
- Two x USB-A charging ports in second row
- Black leather upholstery
- Keyless entry
- Front parking sensors
The Touring Active removes black leather upholstery but adds:
- Adaptive front-lighting system
- LED daytime running lights
- 10-way power driver’s seat
- Heated outboard second-row seats
- Revera Stone Maztex/Grey Cloth upholstery
The GT SP removes the Maztek/cloth upholstery but adds:
- Power tailgate
- Power sunroof
- 2 x USB-A charging ports in the third row
- Black or burgundy leather upholstery
- Map reading spot lights
- Second row window sunshade
- LED vanity mirror and cargo bay illumination
- LED map lights
- 10-speaker premium Bose sound system
- Wireless phone charger
The Asaki adds:
- Chrome exhausts
- Body coloured side mirrors
- Ventilated front seats
- Black Nappa leather upholstery
- Heated steering wheel
- Ambient lighting
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Surround-view camera
The Asaki LE adds:
- Ventilated second-row seats
- Power-adjustable second-row captain’s chairs
- Second-row centre console with USB and storage
- Option of Pure White Nappa leather
The 2023 Mazda CX-8 is available in the following exterior paint colours, depending on the trim level:
- Rhodium White Metallic
- Machine Grey Metallic
- Polymetal Grey
- Jet Black Mica
- Titanium Flash Mica
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Platinum Quartz
Rhodium White, Soul Red Crystal, Polymetal Grey and Machine Grey cost an extra $795.
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-8