Cupra has opened ordering for the entry-level version of its Leon hatchback, around nine months after orders opened for higher-spec models.
The 2023 Cupra Leon V is priced from $43,990 before on-road costs or $47,990 drive-away, and competes against the likes of the Volkswagen Golf, Audi A3, BMW 1 Series, Mercedes-Benz A-Class, and Peugeot 308.
Powering the Leon V is a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine producing 140kW of power and 320Nm of torque.
This is mated to a seven-speed wet dual-clutch automatic transmission with drive sent to the front wheels only. Cupra claims the Leon V can do the 0-100km/h sprint in 7.2 seconds.
The 2023 Cupra Leon V comes standard with the following features:
- 18-inch alloy wheel
- 18-inch temporary spare wheel
- LED headlights
- Auto high-beam
- LED daytime running lights
- Fog lamps with cornering function
- LED tail lights
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- Heated, power-folding mirrors in dark chrome
- Rear tinted windows
- Rear roof spoiler
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 12-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charger
- Two front USB-C ports
- Two rear USB-C ports
- Three-zone climate control
- Heated leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Paddle shifters
- Ambient interior lighting
- Driving profile selection
- Dynamic Chassis Control
- Progressive Steering
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Illuminated scuff plates
- Floor mats
- Cloth upholstery
- Sports bucket seats
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Pedestrian detection
- Cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring with exit assist
- Lane-keeping assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Emergency assist
- Parking assist
- Driver fatigue monitoring
- Reversing camera
The Leon V is also available with the following option packages:
Leather and Sound package – $2450
- Leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- Driver power adjustment and memory
- Mirror memory function
- Dashboard with copper stitching
- Nine-speaker Beats premium sound system
Electric Sunroof – $1800
All the exterior paint colours are free of charge, apart from Desire Red and Graphene Grey which costs $475.
Cupra Australia director Ben Wilks said the entry-level Leon V was a “passion project” for the local division and developed initially for this market.
“Previously the Leon V wasn’t part of the Cupra global showroom,” said Mr Wilks.
“So this is another milestone for our young brand as it goes into its first year on sale in Australia.”
The rest of the 2023 Cupra Leon range remains unchanged following a recent price cut to the VZ, VZe, and VZ trim levels.
They are priced as follows:
- Leon VZ: $51,990, $56,490 D/A
- Leon VZx: $59,990, $63,990 D/A
- Leon VZe: $59,990
- $62,990 D/A in ACT
- $63,990 D/A in QLD
- $64,990 D/A in NSW
- $64,990 D/A in SA
- $65,490 D/A in VIC
- $65,990 D/A in WA
After the initial allocation of the Leon VZe plug-in hybrid (PHEV) sold out, Cupra expects to secure a further allocation shortly.
MORE: Everything Cupra Leon