The Volvo XC90 has been given a heart transplant for 2022.
The long-running seven-seater has been overhauled with a range of mild-hybrid powertrains, three trim levels, and the same gently refreshed exterior introduced in 2020.
Gone are the T- and D- badged models, replaced with a choice of B5 and B6-badged mild-hybrid petrols, along with the Recharge plug-in hybrid.
Prices range from $87,889 before on-road costs for the B5 Momentum to $117,888 before on-roads for the Recharge.
- 2022 Volvo XC90 B5 Momentum: $87,888
- 2022 Volvo XC90 B6 Inscription: $97,888
- 2022 Volvo XC90 B6 R-Design: $99,888
- 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid: $117,888
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Power in the XC90 B5 comes from a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 48V mild-hybrid assistance. It makes 183kW of power and 350Nm of torque.
The 100km/h sprint takes a claimed 6.8 seconds, and the car uses an eight-speed automatic.
Moving to the B6 adds a supercharger to the mix, which ups the power to 220kW and torque to 420Nm. The 100km/h sprint time is a claimed 6.7 seconds, and the transmission is the same eight-speed automatic.
The Recharge has a plug-in hybrid powertrain that pairs a turbo- and supercharged four-cylinder petrol engine with an electric motor to make a combined 300kW of power and 640Nm of torque.
Claimed pure-electric range is 44km, and the 100km/h sprint time is 5.6 seconds. The car has an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Local fuel economy data for the XC90 hasn’t been confirmed for 2022.
The 2022 Volvo XC90 measures 4953mm long, 2008mm wide 1773mm tall, with a 2984mm wheelbase.
Boot space is 709L with the rear seats in place, and expands to 1868L.
The Volvo XC90 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Maintenance is required 12 months or 15,000km. Three years of maintenance will set you back $1500, while five years is priced at $2500.
The Volvo XC90 has a five-star ANCAP safety rating, based on testing carried out by Euro NCAP in 2015.
It scored 97 per cent for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 72 per cent for pedestrian protection, and 73 per cent for safety assist.
Standard active safety equipment in Australia includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Lane-keep assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- Surround-view camera
Standard equipment in the XC90 Momentum B5 includes:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Keyless entry and start
- Powered tailgate with kick opening
- Blond headlining, walnut trim
- Leather-trimmed seats, steering wheel
- Powered, heated front seats
- Four-zone climate control
- Rear sun blinds
- LED headlights
- Fog lights
- 12-inch digital instrument binnacle, head-up display
- 9.0-inch portrait infotainment screen with satellite navigation, DAB+ digital radio, satellite navigation, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charging
- Adaptive cruise control with Pilot Assist
- Power-folding door mirrors
- Parking sensors with auto-parking
- Surround-view camera
Moving to the XC90 B6 Inscription brings:
- 21-inch alloy wheels
- Orrefors crystal gear selector
- Chrome exterior trim
- Leather-accented key fob
The XC90 B6 R-Design packs:
- 22-inch alloy wheels
- Nappa leather/suede sports seats
- Charcoal headlining
- R-Design steering wheel
- Metal-trimmed pedals
- Unique R-Design exterior trim
The Recharge mostly mimics the spec of the R-Design, but adds:
- A panoramic sunroof
- Tinted rear windows
- Adaptive air suspension
- Bowers & Wilkins sound system
- Type 2 charge cable
Available colours include:
- Ice White
- Savile Grey
- Bright Silver
- Onyx Black
- Denim Blue
- Birch Light
- Pebble Grey
- Thunder Grey
- Crystal White pearl
All colours except Ice White (solid) incur additional charge
MORE: Everything Volvo XC90