UPDATE, 11/07/2022 – Hyundai Australia has detailed its updated 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 range. We’ve pulled this story forward to reflect all of the changes.
Hyundai has made some changes to its all-electric Ioniq 5 crossover, with a lower base price and a different line-up than when it was launched in September 2021.
The brand has yet to detail when these updated versions of the Ioniq 5 will be available for order, but we will update during the week.
The line-up now consists of a new entry-level, single-motor rear-wheel drive Dynamiq and a flagship dual-motor all-wheel drive Techniq.
- 119 pre-built vehicles will be available nationwide in the first allocation
- Orders will open on Wednesday, July 20 at 1pm
- Only Techniq AWD models will be available, without the optional Vision Roof but in a range of colours
- A similar number of vehicles is expected for the next drop in August
- Successful orderers will receive their vehicle in 4-6 weeks
The entry-level Ioniq 5 Dynamiq gets smaller, more efficient 19-inch alloy wheels and misses out on features such as the premium relaxation front seats, ventilated front seats, rear door sunshades, and heated rear seats, among others.
The top-of-the-range Ioniq 5 Techniq retains all the previously standard features except for the ‘Vision Roof’ fixed glass roof with electric sunblind, which has been made a $1500 option.
All Hyundai Ioniq 5 models now also gain an augmented reality head-up display, as well as a vehicle to load (V2L) function inside the cabin.
Pricing has changed as well. The entry-level Ioniq 5 Dynamiq starts at $69,900 before on-road costs, which is $2000 cheaper than the previous Ioniq 5 RWD.
The flagship Ioniq 5 Techniq on the other hand is priced at $77,500 before on-road costs, which is $1600 more expensive than the previous Ioniq 5 AWD.
The electric drivetrains remain the same, with the Ioniq 5 Dynamiq only available with the 160kW/350Nm single-motor rear-wheel drive setup and the Ioniq 5 Techniq only available with the 225kW/605Nm dual-motor all-wheel drive setup.
At launch, the Ioniq 5 was available in a single, unnamed trim level with a choice of single- or dual-motor powertrains.
Until the end of June 2022, Hyundai has sold a total of 321 Ioniq 5 models. It outsold the likes of the Kia EV6 (294 sales), but was outsold by the likes of the Tesla Model 3 (4653 sales) and the Mercedes-Benz EQA (443 sales).
- 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Dynamiq: $69,990 (-$2000)
- 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Techniq: $77,500 (+$1600)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The entry-level 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Dynamiq is exclusively powered by a single electric motor that produces 160kW of power and 350Nm of torque. Drive is sent to the rear wheels only.
The flagship Ioniq 5 Techniq has a dual-motor all-wheel drive powertrain with total system outputs of 225kW and 605Nm. It can do the 0-100km/h sprint in a claimed 5.2 seconds.
Both powertrains use a 72.6kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack that’s mounted beneath the flat floorpan.
The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Dynamiq has a claimed electric range of 481km according to WLTP testing, which is up 30km on the pre-update rear-wheel drive model.
This higher claimed range is apparently partially thanks to new 19-inch alloy wheels on the Ioniq 5 Dynamiq, which are wrapped in 235/55 Michelin Primacy 4 tyres.
The all-wheel drive Ioniq 5 Techniq has an unchanged claimed electric range of 430km according to WLTP testing.
The Ioniq 5 uses 16.8kWh/100km in rear-wheel drive Dynamiq guise and 19.0kWh/100km in all-wheel drive Techniq guise.
It has 400V and 800V charging compatibility and can be charged at up to 10.5kW with AC power and up to 350kW with DC fast charging, the latter allowing you to charge it from 10 to 80 per cent in 17 minutes.
It also features a vehicle-to-load (V2L) function inside and out that can provide up to 3.6kW of power. The inside V2L plug is new for the updated model.
The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 measures 4635mm long, 1605mm tall and 1890mm wide, excluding the mirrors, and has a 3000mm wheelbase.
With the rear seats upright the rear-wheel drive Ioniq 5 Dynamiq has a rear boot capacity of 527L, as well as a 57L front boot and a 9.4L sliding glovebox.
The all-wheel drive Ioniq 5 Techniq has the same boot and glovebox capacities, but has a smaller 25L front boot.
The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty. Its battery is also covered for eight years or 160,000km, whichever comes first.
Servicing is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first. The first five services are capped at $220 for both variants, except for the fourth service which costs $804.
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 has a five-star safety rating from ANCAP, which is based on testing conducted in October 2021.
It earned its five-star rating on back of a 88 per cent score for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 63 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 89 per cent for safety assist.
Standard safety equipment across the Ioniq 5 range includes:
- Seven airbags
- Blind-spot assist
- Driver attention warning
- Leading vehicle departure alert
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Following Assist (lane centering)
- Surround-view camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear occupant alert
- Safe exist assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop & go, and machine learning
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Rear autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
The frontal autonomous emergency braking (AEB) feature, which Hyundai calls Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, includes the following functionality:
- Car, pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Junction turning and crossing assist
- Lane-change oncoming and side assist
- Evasive steering assist
The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Dynamiq comes with the following standard features:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (NEW)
- 235/55 Michelin Primacy 4 tyres
- Tyre repair kit
- Automatic LED headlights
- Auto high-beam
- LED tail and rear combination lights
- Acoustic laminated windscreen
- Acoustic laminated side door glass
- Solar control windscreen
- Privacy glass
- Heated and power folding side mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Power tailgate
- Gloss black window and mirror trim
- Satin chrome door and bumper trim
- Liquid silver body cladding
- Liquid silver front and rear skid plates
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment cluster
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Multi-Bluetooth connection
- Bose eight-speaker premium sound system
- Head-up display with augmented reality mode (NEW)
- Dual-zone climate control with auto defog
- Rear air vents
- Cabin air filter
- PTC electric heater
- Adjustable LED interior ambient lighting
- Sliding centre console
- Wireless phone charger
- Paddle shifters
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Remote start
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Two front USB-A charging ports
- Two rear USB-A charging ports
- One front 12V socket
- One rear 12V socket
- Auto up/down front windows
- Convenience front window open/close
- Rear doors/windows power child lock
- Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)
- Portable emergency charging carble
- Vehicle to Load (V2L) function inside (NEW)
- V2L function outside
- Leather-appointed eco processed upholster
- 10-way electric front seats with two-way lumbar support
- Heated front seats
- 60:40 split fold rear seat with recline function
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Premium bio PET carpet
The Ioniq 5 Techniq adds the following:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- 255/45 Michelin Pilot Sport EV tyres
- Under-bonnet insulator
- Rear door sunshades
- Premium relaxation front seats
- Ventilated front seats
- Two-way power rear seats
- Heated rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
The Vision Roof fixed glass roof with electric sunblind is a $1500 option on the Techniq. This was previously standard.
The Ioniq 5 is available in the following paint finishes:
- Atlas White (solid)
- Galactic Grey Metallic
- Phantom Black
- Digital Teal-Green
- Lucid Blue Mica
- Gravity Gold (matte)
Matte paint is a $1000 option.
The interior is available in the following colourways:
- Obsidian Black
- Dove Grey/Dark Pebble Grey two-tone
- Dove Grey/Dark Teal two-tone