The Mercedes-Benz GLA has a new flagship. Pricing for the compact SUV remains unchanged for 2021, but the fire-breathing Mercedes-AMG GLA45 S has touched down in Australia.
Stay tuned for our launch review of the hyper hatch on stilts on Thursday, January 28.
The GLA range mimics that of the related A-Class hatchback, kicking off with the GLA200 and its Renault-sourced engine. Both the 200 and 250 have been on sale since August last year, while the range-topping AMG 45 variant started arriving early this year.
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA200: $55,100
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA250 4Matic: $66,500
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG GLA35 4Matic: $82,935
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+: $107,035
All pricing excludes on-road costs.
The new GLA family is exclusively powered by turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engines.
GLA200 models are powered by a 1.3-litre turbo four co-developed with the Renault-Nissan Alliance, developing 120kW of power and 250Nm of torque.
Drive is sent to the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch auto.
The GLA250 4Matic gets a larger 2.0-litre turbo making 165kW and 350Nm, driving all four wheels via a new eight-speed dual-clutch automatic.
Opting for the AMG GLA35 (above) gets an even more powerful version of the GLA250’s 2.0-litre turbo, boosted to 225kW and 400Nm. Drive in the GLA35 is channelled through an AMG-tuned eight-speed dual-clutch transmission.
The GLA35 completes the 0-100 sprint in a claimed 5.1 seconds.
Finally, the flagship AMG GLA45 S gets a model-specific 2.0-litre turbo four outputting a hefty 310kW and 500Nm. The powertrain is married to an eight-speed DCT with launch control and variable all-wheel drive.
Mercedes-AMG claims a 4.3-second sprint from 0-100 for the GLA45 S, making it 0.2 seconds quicker than arch rival Audi’s new RSQ3 and RSQ3 Sportback.
Fuel economy figures for the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA are as follows:
- GLA200: 6.2L/100km
- GLA250 4Matic: 7.5L/100km
- AMG GLA35 4Matic: 8.0L/100km
- AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+: 9.6L/100km
The new-generation Mercedes-Benz GLA has not been tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
It’s worth noting, however, that all the GLA’s platform mates – i.e. the A-Class, B-Class, CLA and GLB – have all achieved five stars with strong results across the board.
All models come as standard with the following active safety features atop their nine airbags:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot assist
- Exit warning assist
- Active lane-keeping assist
- Cross-wind assist
- Pre-Safe accident anticipatory systems
- Traffic sign assist
At 4417mm long, 1834mm wide and 1616mm tall with a 2729mm wheelbase, the GLA is 14mm shorter, 30mm wider and 122mm taller than the previous model according to Mercedes-Benz, with an extra 30mm between the axles as well.
There’s 435L of boot space with the rear seats up – an improvement of 14L compared to the outgoing model – which expands to 1430L with the back row folded, an increase of nearly 200L.
Maintenance in the all GLA models except the AMG 45 S is required every 12 months or 25,000km. The GLA45 S needs servicing every 12 months or 20,000km.
Service plans are available in three, four, or five-year increments. Pricing is below:
|36 months/three years||48 months/four years||60 months/five years|
|AMG GLA45 S||$3000||$3700||$4300|
GLA200 standard features include:
- Comfort Seats in Artico leatherette upholstery
- Keyless entry and start
- Power tailgate
- Thermotronic climate control
- MBUX infotainment with dual 10.25-inch displays
- Satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Selectable drive modes
- 64-colour ambient interior lighting
- Rain-sensing wipers
- DAB+ radio
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- LED fixed headlights with adaptive high beam
- 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Progressive Equipment Line (styling)
The GLA250 4Matic adds:
- Panoramic electric sunroof
- Front seats with heating, electric adjustment and memory
- Lowered comfort suspension
- Sports-direct steering
- Off-Road Engineering Package
- Remote engine start via Mercedes Me Connect app
- 19-inch five-spoke alloys
The AMG GLA35 4Matic adds:
- AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather
- Steering-mounted AMG Drive Unit
- AMG Ride Control sports suspension
- AMG high-performance brakes
- AMG exhaust
- AMG speed-sensitive power steering
- AMG Night Package
- AMG-specific body styling
- Comfort Sport Seats in Lugano leather
- 20-inch AMG five-twin-spoke alloys
The AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+ adds:
- AMG Driver’s Package (top speed lifted to 265km/h)
- AMG Performance steering wheel in Dinamica microfibre with contrast stitching
- Comfort Sports seats in ‘Yellow Cut’ leather with contrast stitching
- AMG Track Pace
- Burmester surround sound system
- Driving Assistance Package Plus including:
- Active Distance Assist ‘Distronic’ (adaptive cruise control)
- Front cross-traffic assist
- Lane Change Assist
- Route-based speed adaptation
- Parking Package with 360-degree cameras
- Multibeam LED headlights
- AMG-specific body styling with roof-mounted spoiler lip and AMG rear apron with specific diffuser
- AMG exhaust system
- AMG brakes (360 x 36mm perforated front discs and 330 x 22mm perforated rears)
- Six-piston fixed front calipers and one-piston floating rear calipers
- 4Matic+ all-wheel drive with AMG Torque Control
- Body shell stiffening
- AMG-specific front steering knuckles and rear axle sub-frame