The 2020 Mazda CX-9 is available in eight variants with pricing ranging from $45,920 before on-road costs for the front-wheel drive Sport to $69,303 before on-road costs for the all-wheel drive diesel Azami.
At the end of February 2020, the CX-9 accounted for 6.8 per cent of the large SUV segment under $70,000.
That puts it roughly on par with the Hyundai Santa Fe (6.5 per cent) and Ford Everest (6.8 per cent), but well behind the Toyota Kluger (12.7 per cent) and Toyota LandCruiser Prado (17.4 per cent).
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Sport FWD: $45,920
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Sport AWD: $49,920
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD: $53,310
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD: $57,310
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD: $61,720
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD: $65,720
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Azami FWD: $64,893
- 2020 Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD: $69,303
All prices exclude on-road costs.
In Australia, the 2020 Mazda CX-9 is available with one engine: a 2.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol with 170kW and 420Nm.
While buyers can choose between front- or all-wheel drive on all trim levels, a six-speed automatic is standard.
The front-wheel drive 2020 Mazda CX-9 uses 8.4L/100km on the ADR combined city and highway cycle, while all-wheel drive models are rated at 9.0L/100km.
The 2020 Mazda CX-9 measures 5075mm in length, 1747mm in height, 1969mm in width, and has a 2930mm wheelbase.
The base front-wheel drive CX-9 weighs 1878kg. Adding all-wheel drive adds another 72kg, bringing the total to 1950kg. The ranging topping all-wheel drive Azami tips the scales at 2006kg.
The Mazda CX-9’s boot has a luggage capacity of 230L with all three seating rows up, and 810L when the third row is folded down.
The CX-8 has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars.
All 2020 CX-9 models come with front and rear autonomous emergency braking with night time pedestrian detection, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, driver attention monitoring, adaptive cruise control with stop and go, a reversing camera, rear parking sensors, lane-keeping assist, automatic high beams, and traffic sign recognition.
The Mazda CX-9 Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 255/60 tyres
- Dusk-sensing LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Electric mirrors with auto folding mechanism
- Head-up display
- Three-zone climate control with controls in the rear
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment display
- 6-speaker sound system
- DAB+ digital radio
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Satellite navigation
- Push button start
- Blind spot monitoring
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Driver attention monitoring
- Auto high beams
- Lane keeping assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Autonomous emergency braking (front and rear) with night time pedestrian detection
- Traffic sign recognition
- Off-road traction assist (AWD models only)
Moving up to the Mazda CX-9 Touring and you’ll gain:
- LED fog lights
- Leather seats (black)
- 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Keyless entry
- Front parking sensors
- Heated front seats
- 8-way electric driver’s seat adjustment
- 6-way electric passenger’s seat adjustment
- Rear centre arm rest with storage and USB ports
- One touch tip and slide switch for second row
The Mazda CX-9 GT adds:
- 20-inch alloy wheels with 255/55 tyres
- Hands-free electric tailgate
- Electric tilt-and-slide sunroof
- Leather seats (black or natural stone)
- 12-speaker 294W Bose sound system
- 10-way electric driver’s seat adjustment with memory settings
- Heated second row seats (outboard only)
- Third row USB ports
The range-topping Mazda CX-9 Azami also features:
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Windscreen de-icer
- 7.0-inch information display
- Heated steering wheel
- Hand stitched steering wheel trim
- Frameless rear view mirror
- Ventilated front seats
- Surround-view camera system
- Real wood trim
- LED centre console ambient lighting
- Leather seats (brown or white nappa leather)
2020 Mazda CX-9 services are priced between $363 and $408.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 10,000km – whichever comes first.