Mercedes-Benz Australia has detailed its local 2024 GLS range, with a new turbo-diesel option joining the line-up but the turbo-petrol GLS 450 departing.
The 2024 model has received a mid-life update which includes updated technology and some cosmetic changes.
The range now opens at $184,900 before on-road costs for the Mercedes-Benz GLS 450d 4Matic – just over $14,000 higher than the previous entry point to the range – and extends to $409,900 before on-road costs for the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic.
Mercedes-Benz Australia says the 2024 GLS range will go on sale in November 2023.
The GLS 450d 4Matic offers a turbocharged 3.0-litre inline-six diesel which is paired to a 48V mild-hybrid system, and produces 270kW of power and 750Nm of torque.
Both the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic and Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 4Matic+ offer a twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 with a 48-volt mild hybrid system. The Maybach produces 410kW of power and 730Nm of torque and the AMG 450kW and 850Nm.
Mercedes-Benz now offers an updated generation of the MBUX infotainment system. A MBUX Multi-Seat Entertainment system is optional, giving rear-seat occupants access to a range of infotainment and comfort features.
The GLS also gets a new steering wheel with touch controls on its spokes; AMG models get their own unique wheel design.
There are two new exterior finishes (Sodalite Blue metallic and Manufaktur Alpine Grey non-metallic) and two new upholstery colours (Bahia Brown and Catalana Beige).
Externally, the Mercedes-Benz GLS gets a revised grille which is inspired by the Mercedes-Benz G-Glass. There’s also a redesigned front bumper, with air inlets surrounded by high-gloss black trim.
A new 20-inch multi-spoke light-alloy wheel design is now standard on the GLS, alongside additional new wheel designs for the GLS 63 4Matic+ and GLS 600 4Matic.
All GLS models, regardless of badge, get subtly refreshed lighting, plus the option of Sodalite Blue metallic and Manufaktur Alpine Grey non-metallic exterior finishes.
- 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450d 4Matic: $184,900 (NEW)
- 2024 Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 4Matic+ $299,900 (+$11,630)
- 2024 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic: $409,900 (+$15,931)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
There is a choice of two engines across the 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class range.
The 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450d 4Matic is powered by a 3.0-litre inline-six turbo diesel with a 48-volt mild hybrid system. It produces 270kW of power and 750Nm of torque, and can complete a 0-100km/h sprint in 6.1 seconds.
Both the Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 4Matic+ and the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic are powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 petrol engine mated to a 48-volt mild hybrid system.
The GLS 63 4Matic+’s V8 produces 450kW of power and 850Nm of torque, while the GLS 600 4Matic’s V8 produces 410kW and 730Nm.
Both models have a claimed 0-100km/h time of 4.2 seconds.
The 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450d 4Matic uses a claimed 9.1 litres per 100km based on a WLTP combined cycle.
The twin-turbocharged V8 in the 2024 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 63 4Matic+ uses a claimed 13.2 litres per 100km based on a WLTP combined cycle, whereas the same engine for the 2024 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 uses 14.1 litres per 100km based on the same cycle.
All petrol models require 98RON premium unleaded petrol and have a 90L fuel tank.
The 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450d 4Matic measures 5209mm long, 2157mm wide, 1823mm tall and has a 3135mm wheelbase.
The 2024 Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 4Matic+ measures 5233mm long, 2030mm wide, 1836mm tall and has a 3135mm wheelbase while the 2024 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic measures 5205mm long, 2157mm wide, 1838mm tall and has a 3135mm wheelbase.
All 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS models are covered under the company’s five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Mercedes-Benz offers a three-year servicing plan for the GLS-Class, with servicing intervals of 12 months/25,000km for the GLS 450d and 12 months or 20,000km for V8 models.
Pricing is as follows:
|Three-year plan||Four-year plan||Five-year plan|
|Mercedes-Benz GLS450d 4Matic||$3620||$4920||$7225|
|Mercedes-AMG GLS63 4Matic+||$4155||$5355||$6195|
|Mercedes-Maybach GLS600 4Matic||$4455||$5385||$6200|
The 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS remains untested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP and therefore has no safety rating.
However, the GLS comes with a full suite of safety assists as standard. These include the following:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection and junction assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Nine airbags (front, front-side, curtain, driver’s knee)
- Driver attention monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane change assist
- Lane departure warning
- Trailer Manoeuvring Assist
- Evasive steering assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Surround-view camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Pre-Safe system
- Traffic Jam Assist
- Evasive Steering Assist
- Speed Limit Assist
The 2024 Mercedes-Benz GLS450d 4Matic comes standard with the following features:
- LED headlights with adaptive high-beam
- Panoramic sunroof
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Head-up display
- Seven seats
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Satellite navigation
- DAB+ digital radio
- Seven USB charging ports
- 20-inch multi-spoke light alloy wheels in Himalayas Grey
- Glossy brown lime wood trim
- Keyless entry and start
- Burmester sound system
- MBUX infotainment software with augmented reality
- Aluminium-look roof rails
- Park assist
- Multicontour seat
- Power closing doors
- Heated rear seats
- Automatic climate control
- Voice command
- Guard 360-degree Vehicle Protection Plus
- AMG-line exterior accents
- Air Balance package
- Power tailgate
- Automatic stop/start
- Keyless entry and start
- Wireless charging
The GLS63 4Matic+ adds the following:
- AMG Night Package
- 21-inch AMG 5-twin-spoke wheels
- Matte black roof rails
- Windowline and belting in high-gloss black
- Exterior mirror housing in high gloss black
- Unique AMG front and rear apron
- Unique grille
- AMG Active Ride Control
- Seat Heating Plus for driver and front passenger
- Armrest heating for driver and front passenger
- Rear seat cushion heating
- Projected AMG logos
- AMG brakes with red-painted calipers
- AMG welcome light animation
- AMG performance steering wheel
- Rear limited-slip differential
- Adaptive suspension
- Active engine mounts
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Heated and cooled front cupholders
- Heated windscreen washers
- AMG performance exhaust with selectable programs
The Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4Matic adds:
- Manufaktur Exclusive Leather package
- Burmester 3D sound system
- E-Active Body Control
- MBUX rear seat entertainment system
- Multicontour rear seats
- Electric sunblinds
- Heated steering wheel
The $2900 Towbar package adds the following:
- Tow bar with ESP trailer stabilisation
- Increased towing capacity (up to 3500kg)
The $9900 Rear Comfort package adds the following:
- Wireless charging in the second row for mobile devices
- MBUX rear tablet
- Luxury head restraints
- Wireless headset
- MBUX High-End Rear Seat Entertainment System
This package is only available on the GLS450d 4Matic and GLS63 4Matic+
The $14,500 First Class Rear Individual Seat package adds the following:
- First-class rear compartment
- Folding tables in the second row
- Refrigerated compartment
- Holder for champagne flutes
- Champagne flutes
This package is only available on the Maybach GLS 600.